Seafarer medical examinations
Drs James & Prendergast are approved by the Maritime and Coast Guard Agency to conduct Statutory Seafarers Medicals.
- Please telephone the Surgery on 02380557531 to book your 40-minute appointment
- Please arrive 20 minutes before you appointment to allow time for the additional tasks needed
- On arrival for your appointment, please expect to be:
1 asked to complete a form giving your personal details
2 given a container to provide a urine sample (please label it with your name & date of birth)
3 asked to check your height, weight and blood pressure on our health check machine in reception
- The cost of the medical is £80 to be paid by PayPal or credit/debit card (we do not accept AmEx)
- If you fail to cancel 48 hours before the appointment, or fail to attend your appointment on time, the full fee will still be payable
- It is your responsibility to arrange an interpreter if you feel your English is not sufficient to consult a doctor
- It's necessary to have a dental check-up before your medical if you have not had one within last year
- Contact lens wearers please remove contact lenses before your medical to allow your eyes to settle for testing but please remember to bring a spare pair and any spectacles that you use
- Spectacle wearers please bring all spectacles that you use
- You should bring along your previous ENG1 medical certificate (unless this is your first examination)
- Please bring with you a form of photo identification (e.g passport, discharge book or other certified photographic proof [for example, a company photo pass])
- Please bring with you the name and address of your current GP/Family doctor
- Please bring with you any medications, recent medical letters, discharge notes, sight test results etc
- You will need to remove outer clothing down to your underwear, so you may wish to wear shorts or similar
- You can use public transport to reach us (Unilink Buses). The closest stop to us is the Highfield Interchange
- Car parking is limited but you can either use one of our three patient bays near the Surgery or the University Pay & Display car park
Follow the signs to the University from wherever you are coming from.
Then, from Burgess Road, turn into University Road at the traffic lights opposite the public library.
Take the first right into Salisbury Road.
Go to the end and take the left turning (the only one!) which takes you down a small service road along the edge of the campus.
Drive down the hill, round the bend, and our surgery is on the left, marked as University Health Service on the back.
You can park either in the patient bays or in the bays just along the road marked 'Doctor' put a note in your windscreen saying that you are visiting the Health centre.
Please note if you use our post code in a sat nav device, this will take you to the University Main Reception area so please follow the directions.